How to protect a car in winter
Administrator World Garage
Tips and tricks to protect the car in winter: washing, anti-corrosion treatment, tires, antifreeze, glass cleaning, etc.
On complexity experts equate only one month of operation of the car in the winter period to the whole year of trips in the summer. How to prepare for the cold season and protect your transport from harsh conditions-in our review.
What to protect in the car in winter
In winter, the car body requires increased attention and protection, so the owner needs to take care of its processing in a timely manner and understand the means by which it can be covered to prevent rust.But not only the body and other metal elements are exposed to an aggressive environment at low temperature-protection and maintenance also require:
- Car Windows that can freeze and by the end of winter covered with a web of small scratches;
- Wheel arches, actively destroyed from falling into them stones, salt, road reagents, working in negative tandem with constant moisture from snow and ice;
- Rubber seals and plastic, also suffering from constant frost and moisture.
What measures should be taken to protect your vehicle from all aggressive winter factors?Winter slush, salt, sand, chemicals, which are treated roads, layers stick to the car body, creating a favorable environment for the spread of corrosion.Factory anticorrosion treatment, even the most expensive and high-quality, quickly surrenders under the influence of such aggressive environments, many times more dangerous and dense than the usual summer dust and dirt.Therefore, the owner on the eve of winter should take care of additional protection of the body, thus saving the car not only from dirt and reagents, but also temperature differences.First of all, it is necessary to inspect the body for chips and scratches and eliminate them in a timely manner, without giving corrosion a chance to spread. Among the most popular means of processing the body can be noted the following:
- Anticorrosion is considered one of the most effective methods of corrosion containment. It has a high penetrating power, literally absorbing rust by squeezing moisture out of it, thereby suppressing the further development of negative processes. Among the many such tools have the best protective qualities of those that have an oil base.
- Bituminous mixtures are more of a preventive agent, protecting the body and giving a good appearance, but not able to fight the already arisen rust. Having in the structure of resin, such mastic is put on the bottom and wheel arches, prolonging thereby life to a body.
- Polishes – since the paint coating is primarily exposed to the environment, as long as possible to preserve its integrity, beauty and Shine with polishes. It will create an invisible protective film on the surface of the LCP, which will protect against chips and reagents.
- Wax is another preventive agent on wax basis, at the same time, affordable, and effective for the needs of polishing and protection. For processing the body they do not require any application of physical effort or special skills, the result will please the motorist, although it will not last too long. With regular updating of the wax coating, the owner will be able to significantly facilitate the operation of the car in the winter.
- Anti-gravel film-its main task is to protect against flying out from under the wheels of gravel or sand, leading to scratches and chips. It is a transparent protective film, barely visible on the body, but at the same time taking on all the blows that can spoil the appearance of the metal.
GripThe change of summer tires for winter, carried out when the temperature drops to + 5 degrees, is the most important safety measure for both the motorist and other road users.With the onset of cold weather, more rigid summer tires quickly lose traction with the track, which leads to a loss of handling and maneuverability. That is why experts recommend changing shoes in advance, without waiting for frost and risking the creation of an emergency situation.Before replacing the rubber, it is necessary to check it for cracks, wear, remnants of spikes to make sure it is ready for the season. Test tests have shown that the safe minimum for winter tire treads is 4 mm – only at such rates they will provide the necessary traction with ice or snow road.Assessing the wear of rubber, you should pay attention to its uniformity. Thus, when the wear of the shoulder area, which occurs due to insufficient pressure, the driver will face a deterioration in cross-coupling and risk when cornering.But the wear of the Central part indicates excessive pressure, for which the driver will pay bad braking dynamics, weak acceleration and loss of control.
Windscreen wipers and antifreezeAnother important factor in the protection of the car in the winter is to check the performance of the wipers, as well as timely pouring quality antifreeze windshield washers.If in the summer the driver will be able to do without competently working "wipers", then during frosts and snowfalls the presence of a good overview is vital.Similarly to tires, rubber on wipers is divided into winter and summer. The difference is that the winter version does not harden, does not freeze and does not lose mobility at any low temperatures.
WashingMany car owners do not consider it mandatory to wash the car in the winter, but hygiene procedures remain the main way to prevent premature aging of the body. Stuck dirt and residues of reagents penetrate into the smallest cracks and scratches, accelerating the spread of corrosion.However, if in the summer you can remove all deposits from the surface of the car by any improvised method, then in the winter you should observe certain subtleties:
- do not use hot water, as the temperature difference between the water and the environment can cause cracks;
- special attention in the process of washing should be paid to the fenders;
- before washing, it is recommended to inquire about the means used because of the difference in the nature of winter and summer pollution. If in the summer it is necessary to remove insects, dust, tree buds, then in the winter the auto shampoo should be able to cope with denser salts and road chemistry;
- after washing and before leaving the street the body must be wiped dry;
- door locks and rubber seals can be independently treated with silicone grease, as due to moisture ingress, opening the doors can be difficult.
ConclusionMany car owners believe that the preparation for the winter is in the key actions:
- replacement of summer rubber for winter;
- checking and recharging the battery;
- filling the wiper with a non-freezing liquid.